Construction of the Statue began in France 1875; the sculptor was Frederic Auguste Bartholdi a quartermaster to a force of five thousand soldiers. The structural Engineer was Gustave Eiffel. It was completed in Paris in June 1884 and presented to America by the people of France on July 4, 1884. It was dismanteled and shipped US in 1885 in 214 crates. The Statue of Liberty and pedestal was rebuilt in the US in 1886. It can be found standing on Liberty Island (SouthWest of Southern tip of Manhattan) the mouth of the Hudson River in New York Harbour and was intended to serve as a welcome to all visitors, immigrants, and returning Americans. The statue holds a torch in her right hand and a tablet in her left with the inscription JULY IV MDCCLXXVI (July 4, 1776), the date of the adoption of the Declaration of Independence. One of her feet stands on chains, symbolizing the acquired freedom and the seven spikes in her crown represent the seven seas and seven continents. The height from ground to the top of the torch (including foundation and the pedestal) is 93 m this while the statue itself, from the top of the base to the torch only 46 m. The statue weighs 204 tons and the pedestal weighs 24,500 tons. The statue was built from thin copper plates hammered into wooden forms through a process known as repoussé. The formed plates were then mounted onto a steel skeleton. The pedestal is built from stone and Rosendale natural cement. There is a museum on the second floor of the pedestal. Inside the statue, a spiral stairway with rest seats at every third turn winds up to the observation deck in the crown. Before 1916, the ladder in the right arm holding the torch was open to the public, but it has for many years been restricted to staff use, for maintaining the lighting equipment in the torch. The interior of the statue has been closed to the public since 2001 ever since the 911 incident.