- Kikuyu Grass comes from tropical eastern Africa, and is
named after the Kikuyu people of Kenya.
- It was brought to South Africa as a lawn and pasture
- It is an aggressive invader of pastures, crop lands and
natural areas, especially moist coastal areas, streams and wetlands.
- It spreads rapidly by producing long rhizomes and
runners. It also
produces chemicals that kill other plants nearby.
- Kikuyu threatens the natural vegetation by smothering
- Kikuyu grows most actively in Summer. It is therefore
not a water-wise lawn for the Western Cape as it needs to be watered
regularly during the dry Summer months when we often have water